Charles City Chamber

There are some numbers and people you need right away when moving to a new community.
We at are a wealth of information, but we aren’t always there helping you move the boxes into your new home. Here’s a list of critical information to print out and keep on your refrigerator:

Can't find what you're looking for here,
e-mail us for Charles City, Iowa information:
Gas/Electrical Utilities
MidAmerican Energy – 888-427-5632

Water & Sewer
City of Charles City – 641-257-6300

Phone Service
Qwest – 800-244-1111 or
Mediacom - 641-228-1776 or
McLeod USA – 800-909-3012

Qwest – set up new service – 800-244-1111 or
Mediacom – set up new service – 641-228-1776

Garbage / Recycling
Jendro Sanitation Services – 641-228-3525
Find out when your garbage pick-up day is

U.S. Post Office
500 North Main Street, Charles City – 641-228-3233

Charles City Police Department
105 Milwaukee Mall – 641-228-3366 – Emergency 911

Floyd County Sheriff
101 Main Street, Charles City – 641-228-

Floyd County Hospital
800 11th Street, Charles City – 641-228-6830

Charles City Fire Department
704 South Grand Avenue – 641-257-6313 – Emergency 911
Charles City Public Library
106 Milwaukee Mall – 641-257-3619

Charles City Community School District
500 North Grand Avenue – Central Office – 641-257-6500

Driver’s License
Floyd County Treasurer Office – Floyd County Court House
101 South Main Street – 641-257-6121

Property Taxes
Floyd County Treasurer Office – Floyd County Court House
101 South Main Street – 641-257-6135

Newspaper Subscription
Charles City Press – 641-228-3211

Charles City Radio Stations
“The River” KCHA 95.9 FM – KCHA-AM 1580 AM

Local area T.V. Stations (over the air channel)
KIMT - Mason City - CBS affiliate (3)

KTTC - Rochester - NBC affiliate (10)
KWWL - Waterloo - NBC affiliate (7)

KAAL - Albert Lee - ABC affiliate (6)
KCRG - Cedar Rapids - ABC affiliate (9)

KXLT - Rochester - Fox affiliate (47)
IPTV - Mason City - Public Television (24)
Building Permits
Charles City Fire Department - 713 South Grand Avenue – 641-257-6313

How do I get rid of tree limbs?
Once a month from April to October the Charles City Street Department will pick up tree limbs. Put the limbs on the curb next to your garbage on the first week of the month. Each section of town is on a different pick up schedule. In the fall they also do two rounds of leaf pick up. If neither of these options work well for you the Shaw Avenue dump site is available free of charge on Monday, Wednesday and Saturdays.

How do I get rid of an old couch
Spring cleanup is held annually in Charles City toward the end of April. The city picks up large items like sofas, desks, used lumber and other unwanted items from homeowners. There are certain regulations on what's permitted and what's excluded.

How do I get rid of old appliances
Appliances are NOT allowed on spring clean up. Call Jendro Sanitation to have them pick up your old appliance. They will charge a fee.

Where do I register my children for school?
If you move to Charles City during the school year a parent and the student should contact/visit the school they will be attending (see Charles City schools here) to register for classes. If your children are of elementary age and you have questions as to which elementary school (Washington or Lincoln) they should attend, you can contact the contact the Central Office (641-257-6500). Regular school registration for Charles City Community Schools is in early August.

Where do I register to vote
Eligible voters can register to vote in Floyd County elections by calling or visiting the Floyd County Auditor's office at the Floyd County Court House.
Charles City, Iowa 50616 USA
Send comments to:
© 2009